The (Senior) Buyer is part of the central Buying and Merchandising department, but is physically located in one of our country offices. The senior buyer reports directly to the International Buying Manager FMCG. The main focus lies on driving sales, profit and market share growth, and leading the Commercial Assistant(s).
The buyer will be responsible for buying the local country-specific assortment (15-30% per category) for the 4 FMCG categories, working together closely with the 4 category buyers in the Netherlands on common targets, and supporting the General Merchandise categories with their local buying efforts.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
Purpose of the Job
To implement the local buying strategy for the FMCG categories in the France in order to maximize the results
Areas of responsibility
- Buys and manages local country-specific assortment for Action, with a focus on the 4 FMCG categories (Food & Drink, Personal Care, Laundry & Cleaning, and Pet)
- Supports the General Merchandise categories with local assortment development, and local merchandising and price management , providing feedback and local expertise
- Implements category management including local pricing and promotional strategies aligned to the formula for the FMCG categories, within the guidelines set by the central categories teams
- Manages the buying process from supplier to store for local country-specific assortment
- Develops the local country-specific assortment, continually identifying exciting new products and works with the merchandisers to optimise presentation and use of shelf space
- Ensures quality, safety and legality requirements are met for all the assortment in their country, with a focus on FMCG categories
- Monitors local market, competitor and supply developments within their country and with a focus on the FMCG categories
- Works with the stock planners to maximize customer availability
- Delivers the key financial targets including; Sales, Margin and Working Capital
- Delivers the local operational buying plan for the FMCG categories; including product selection and negotiating best cost
- Clearly steers a local buying team, takes the lead, gives clear working instructions, plans employees and activities in such a manner that targets are successfully achieved
- Is actively involved in improving employee skills by providing constructive feedback, instructions, explanation and coaching.
- Makes employees enthusiastic, clearly indicates the intended effect of targets, brings about a positive attitude towards the work and inspires team members' strong will to perform.
- Gives direct and constructive feedback about the delivered performance and personal development related to future requirements and priorities
- Stimulates employees to join in on the thought process and to actively contribute to the development of new ideas and to learn from his/her own experiences and those of others
- Responsible for an optimal staffing, recruitment activities and retaining of employees within the department
- Develops key supplier relationships and identifies new product sources
Additional Responsibilities Senior Buyer
Responsible for more than one category, a broad category or a category which is crucial importance
WHAT MAKES A GOOD SENIOR BUYER COUNTRY FRANCE AT ACTION
Competencies and Hard skills
- Set the example
- Communication skills
- Result orientated
- Planning and organizing
- Execute with pace and urgency
- Bachelor’s degree in combination with 5-7 years of buying experience in FMCG retail and in stock-lot goods
- Experience in contract and vendor management
- Knowledge of retail is essential
- Proficiency in French and living around Paris, knowledge of English
- Relation, risk and change management skills
Requirements soft skills
- Is very organised, is able to structure activities and projects, sticks to agreements within deadlines and according to guidelines
- Demonstrates a high level of pragmatism
- Works efficiently and effectively, also when under time pressure
- Works effectively with others to achieve common targets
- Passionate about products
- Is cost-efficient and takes this into account in daily work
- Able to work independently at a distance from the central buying team in the Netherlands
- Able to work in close cooperation with 4 category buyers in the Netherlands who retain final category responsibility
- Flexible about traveling / working internationally part of the time
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING REMUNERATION
Action opens a number of new stores nationally and internationally every week. This rapid growth makes us a successful organization, continuously expanding in scale. Your responsibilities on an international basis will increase accordingly. Not only does Action grow, but you will also have numerous possibilities to grow and develop yourself at our company.
- A competitive salary (on the basis of 38 hrs/wk.)
- A company laptop and phone
- 15% employee discount for purchases at Action
Do you want to help build the future for one of the best and fastest growing non-food retailers in Europe? Apply now by uploading your CV and motivation letter, via our online application form*. We are more than happy to invite you for an interview!
Are you interested in finding out more about this function or the application procedure? Please contact Esther Sancho (Senior Corporate Recruiter) on (+31)0 228 565 080.